The Story

This is a blog designed to keep my family and friends up to date with my recovery in therapy and life. For those that don't know, I was is a terrible snowboarding accident on March 4, 2010. I was traveling down a trail with my brother-in-law Casey. We were going fast, but weren't out of control. Due to the time of the day, there was what they call " a white out effect", that's when a person has a hard time noticing some elevation changes in the snow. Unfortunately for me, when I reached the point in the trail where it merged with another trail, there was a bad drop off. By the time I realized this it was too late. I sailed off of the drop and was about 15-20ft. in the air before I landed on my tailbone in the hard packed snow. My legs instantly went numb and I was having a very hard time breathing. Casey rushed to me and all I could say was " I just paralyzed myself, go get help!". I was air lifted to Loma Linda Hospital and after hours of test they found that I had shattered my T12 vertebrate. I was put into surgery for 4 hours and received a titanium cage, rods, screws and other materials to rebuild my spine. During the injury my spinal cord was compressed and the broken pieces from the vertebrate actually punctured my spinal cord. After a few days in the ICU, I started to get feeling on the top of my thighs, knees and front of my shins. This was amazing because initially the doctors didn't expect me to regain much, if any , feeling or movement in my legs. I spent 8 days recovering in the ICU before I was transferred to Long Beach Memorial Rehab Center. I spent 2 weeks recovering there, as well as receiving great therapy. I progressed so well that I was actually discharged a week early. Next, I researched outpatient therapy centers and found
Precision Rehabilitation in Long Beach. Lucky for me their gym is close and has some of the most qualified therapist in the country. That's the story and the rest will be posted here for you all to enjoy.

As you all can imagine, this has been a terrorizing experience. If it wasn't for the strong support of my family and friends, I know without a doubt, I wouldn't be able to get through this. I strongly look forward to getting back on my feet, so that I can enjoy everyday with my beautiful wife and wonderful boys.



Sunday, April 3, 2011

April 3

It's last minute, but I wanted to let you all know that I'm playing in a fundraiser for Long Beach Memorial Rehabilitation Center. This is the second year that they're doing this to help raise money for needed medical equipment.They have five teams, which are led by the doctors, and include former patients, like myself. We will be competing against each other by playing the Wii video game. It's a fun way to help future patients receive the proper equipment and care that they need, as well as, show how interactive games are very helpful towards recovery. If you would like to sponsor me, you can do it through my player page that they set up. To support me click here.

I would also like to let you all know that I'm starting my own lawn mowing business. We are a little expensive, but you will get your money's worth. If you're interested please leave a comment and Keep Marching!

1 comment:

  1. Heeeyyy! I love it Carnes Boys Mowing! Complete with Bubbles! Love love love you, Mumssy aka Grammie

    ReplyDelete