The Story

This is a blog designed to keep my family and friends up to date with my recovery in therapy and life. For those that don't know, I was is a terrible snowboarding accident on March 4, 2010. I was traveling down a trail with my brother-in-law Casey. We were going fast, but weren't out of control. Due to the time of the day, there was what they call " a white out effect", that's when a person has a hard time noticing some elevation changes in the snow. Unfortunately for me, when I reached the point in the trail where it merged with another trail, there was a bad drop off. By the time I realized this it was too late. I sailed off of the drop and was about 15-20ft. in the air before I landed on my tailbone in the hard packed snow. My legs instantly went numb and I was having a very hard time breathing. Casey rushed to me and all I could say was " I just paralyzed myself, go get help!". I was air lifted to Loma Linda Hospital and after hours of test they found that I had shattered my T12 vertebrate. I was put into surgery for 4 hours and received a titanium cage, rods, screws and other materials to rebuild my spine. During the injury my spinal cord was compressed and the broken pieces from the vertebrate actually punctured my spinal cord. After a few days in the ICU, I started to get feeling on the top of my thighs, knees and front of my shins. This was amazing because initially the doctors didn't expect me to regain much, if any , feeling or movement in my legs. I spent 8 days recovering in the ICU before I was transferred to Long Beach Memorial Rehab Center. I spent 2 weeks recovering there, as well as receiving great therapy. I progressed so well that I was actually discharged a week early. Next, I researched outpatient therapy centers and found
Precision Rehabilitation in Long Beach. Lucky for me their gym is close and has some of the most qualified therapist in the country. That's the story and the rest will be posted here for you all to enjoy.

As you all can imagine, this has been a terrorizing experience. If it wasn't for the strong support of my family and friends, I know without a doubt, I wouldn't be able to get through this. I strongly look forward to getting back on my feet, so that I can enjoy everyday with my beautiful wife and wonderful boys.



Thursday, March 3, 2011

One long year!

Well today Ziad performed another progress test on me. To my surprise, I scored a 50 out of 56! The last test was a 45 and I thought that I was only going to see small changes as I grew closer to the 56 max. When Ziad told me that I scored a 50, it made my day. Pretty good way to end this long year since my injury. Tomorrow is March 4th, the date of my injury. Some might think of this as being a terrible day, and it was one year ago, but this March 4th, and all of the rest to come, should be celebrated. I hate my situation, and who wouldn't, but I cherish it as well. I've learned a lot through this last year. My injury has taught me, that no matter how bad you think your situation is, there is always someone suffering more than you. I don't go one day feeling sorry for myself. I've met many people along the way who would give anything to be in my situation. I am so thankful to have my brain and my arms. I can still hug my wife and kids and take care of myself. I am also so fortunate to recover as much as I have. There are many people who aren't fortunate enough to regain any feeling or function. My injury has showed me how important your family and friends are. You all have helped Nicole, the boys and myself in so many ways. We wouldn't be getting through this without you. It has showed me how amazing my wife is, I can't believe what my injury has put her through. What I can believe is how strong she has been throughout it all. I know that she is an incredible wife and mother, and I'm so fortunate to have her and the boys to give me the strength to keep fighting. This year has felt much longer than a year. I can't honestly remember what normal life feels like, I guess it's our minds way of helping us deal with the present. Looking back through this year helps me to appreciate all that I have, and it excites me to wonder what has yet to come. My expectations for myself are still as high as they have ever been. This year is just one notch in the belt, of many more to come. I'll leave you with these words, "March 4th, KEEP MARCHING!"

4 comments:

  1. This Is such great news! We are so proud of you and Nicole and all if the accomplishments by the both of you. March 5th is day one to the new year, new results, and an abundance of support and love.

    So with today new results, CHEERS to you and Nicole and we can not wait to see what us just around the corner.

    We love you very much, mom and dad, two of your biggest fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, Such great news! I always knew Nicole was making a great choice in chosing you. Even at 19 you were so different and driven compared to other boys your age. I am so proud of you both. You have been a wonderful, dedicated and appreciative son in law. You have helped me through so many life changes...and now with your words you continue to make me proud & you even help me "deal" with your injury. You are an eloquent writer...I love you, Keep Marching 4th, Mumsy xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing bro! I'm very proud to be one of your friends, and I wish you and your family the best always! :)

    ReplyDelete