The Story

This is a blog designed to keep my family and friends up to date with my recovery in therapy and life. For those that don't know, I was is a terrible snowboarding accident on March 4, 2010. I was traveling down a trail with my brother-in-law Casey. We were going fast, but weren't out of control. Due to the time of the day, there was what they call " a white out effect", that's when a person has a hard time noticing some elevation changes in the snow. Unfortunately for me, when I reached the point in the trail where it merged with another trail, there was a bad drop off. By the time I realized this it was too late. I sailed off of the drop and was about 15-20ft. in the air before I landed on my tailbone in the hard packed snow. My legs instantly went numb and I was having a very hard time breathing. Casey rushed to me and all I could say was " I just paralyzed myself, go get help!". I was air lifted to Loma Linda Hospital and after hours of test they found that I had shattered my T12 vertebrate. I was put into surgery for 4 hours and received a titanium cage, rods, screws and other materials to rebuild my spine. During the injury my spinal cord was compressed and the broken pieces from the vertebrate actually punctured my spinal cord. After a few days in the ICU, I started to get feeling on the top of my thighs, knees and front of my shins. This was amazing because initially the doctors didn't expect me to regain much, if any , feeling or movement in my legs. I spent 8 days recovering in the ICU before I was transferred to Long Beach Memorial Rehab Center. I spent 2 weeks recovering there, as well as receiving great therapy. I progressed so well that I was actually discharged a week early. Next, I researched outpatient therapy centers and found
Precision Rehabilitation in Long Beach. Lucky for me their gym is close and has some of the most qualified therapist in the country. That's the story and the rest will be posted here for you all to enjoy.

As you all can imagine, this has been a terrorizing experience. If it wasn't for the strong support of my family and friends, I know without a doubt, I wouldn't be able to get through this. I strongly look forward to getting back on my feet, so that I can enjoy everyday with my beautiful wife and wonderful boys.



Friday, April 16, 2010

Welcome to my new Blog!

I would like to welcome everyone to my new blog. It will be here for everyone to stay current on my progress throughout my recovery. I will try to keep it updated a couple of times each week. You will notice two links below the story section. The first is for photos, which directs you to my Picasa web album. This is where I will keep all of my photos from therapy and maybe some from everyday life. The second link is for videos, which shows you my Youtube videos. Sometimes Youtube will momentaraly advertise videos that aren't mine, so make sure that it's my video that you are clicking on. I'm not sure how much I will be filming at therapy, but I'll do as much as possible. I encourage you to check frequently. Currently there is one video now. This video shows me on a tredmill, while being hoisted with a special lift. Research has shown that this is a very important type of therapy to stimulate the nerves and to get the brain to comunicate with my legs again. It doesn't look like much, but the therapist were amazed at how well I did for my first time.

I'm really excited to bring this blog to all of you, because without you, my recovery wouldn't be possible. I'm shocked at the amount of love and support that everyone has giving Nicole and I. We love you very much and hope you enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Great Job Josh! Your story is amazing and inspirational to others! I just can't wait to get my tattoo with Nicole when you walk again!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh...this is great and so inspiring! Love you, Mumsy xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josh,
    I really like the site and will check in weekly for new posts and progress reports. Thanks for the video. I find your therapy very interesting and the progress you made in this short time is amazing. I know you are working extremely hard and I absolutely believe you will be walking again…… There are people who don’t even know you that are following your story and ask me weekly how you are doing……… You are a true inspiration. Love to Niki and the boys! Love Patty h.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All us guys at the Pier A Crane Shop are pulling for you Josh!! Keep positive and keep moving forward.

    Brian De Nike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Josh - I am a friend of your mom's and I just want to let you know that I'm like a cheerleader on the sidelines rooting for your recovery. Always remember to stay positive and focused. I look forward to reading your blog.

    Your new friend,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete