The Story

This is a blog designed to keep my family and friends up to date with my recovery in therapy and life. For those that don't know, I was is a terrible snowboarding accident on March 4, 2010. I was traveling down a trail with my brother-in-law Casey. We were going fast, but weren't out of control. Due to the time of the day, there was what they call " a white out effect", that's when a person has a hard time noticing some elevation changes in the snow. Unfortunately for me, when I reached the point in the trail where it merged with another trail, there was a bad drop off. By the time I realized this it was too late. I sailed off of the drop and was about 15-20ft. in the air before I landed on my tailbone in the hard packed snow. My legs instantly went numb and I was having a very hard time breathing. Casey rushed to me and all I could say was " I just paralyzed myself, go get help!". I was air lifted to Loma Linda Hospital and after hours of test they found that I had shattered my T12 vertebrate. I was put into surgery for 4 hours and received a titanium cage, rods, screws and other materials to rebuild my spine. During the injury my spinal cord was compressed and the broken pieces from the vertebrate actually punctured my spinal cord. After a few days in the ICU, I started to get feeling on the top of my thighs, knees and front of my shins. This was amazing because initially the doctors didn't expect me to regain much, if any , feeling or movement in my legs. I spent 8 days recovering in the ICU before I was transferred to Long Beach Memorial Rehab Center. I spent 2 weeks recovering there, as well as receiving great therapy. I progressed so well that I was actually discharged a week early. Next, I researched outpatient therapy centers and found
Precision Rehabilitation in Long Beach. Lucky for me their gym is close and has some of the most qualified therapist in the country. That's the story and the rest will be posted here for you all to enjoy.

As you all can imagine, this has been a terrorizing experience. If it wasn't for the strong support of my family and friends, I know without a doubt, I wouldn't be able to get through this. I strongly look forward to getting back on my feet, so that I can enjoy everyday with my beautiful wife and wonderful boys.



Tuesday, April 20, 2010

4/20/10

Well I saw the doctor today and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. I thought that he might take some x-rays to let me know how my spine is healing, unfortunately he didn't. He did say that I will most likely get to take my brace off in 6 weeks, which is on the shorter end of the initial 3-6 month estimate. He was pleased to see how much movement I have in my legs, because originally he didn't expect me to regain much, if any. He really didn't have much else to say, except that we will have some x-rays at my next appointment in 6 weeks.


Off subject, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank some friends. Nicole and I have been receiving some more than generous donations. I'm not sure how many of you are following this blog, but you know who you are. Please don't be afraid to comment or ask questions and THANK YOU!

3 comments:

  1. I would like to take a minute to tell my husband and everyone else how strong and amazing he is. This is by far the most difficult challenge we have ever faced but everyday he continues to push himself to new limits and stay positive and I know we will get through it. I look forward to the day when we can look back at this time in our life and see how far we've come, the good from the accident and what a stronger family this has made us. I love you, stay strong and I will too.

    Love, your wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well said my dear daughter...you are an amazing wife and mother. You and Josh will survive this with many many happy memories to be made! I am so incredibly proud of you both and your hard work and never ending hope
    Xo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh you have a strong, supportive, courageous, and positive wife at your side. Your love and commitment to one another is such an inspiration to us. Thank you for sharing your journey to recovery. Truely Amazing!

    ReplyDelete