The Story

This is a blog designed to keep my family and friends up to date with my recovery in therapy and life. For those that don't know, I was is a terrible snowboarding accident on March 4, 2010. I was traveling down a trail with my brother-in-law Casey. We were going fast, but weren't out of control. Due to the time of the day, there was what they call " a white out effect", that's when a person has a hard time noticing some elevation changes in the snow. Unfortunately for me, when I reached the point in the trail where it merged with another trail, there was a bad drop off. By the time I realized this it was too late. I sailed off of the drop and was about 15-20ft. in the air before I landed on my tailbone in the hard packed snow. My legs instantly went numb and I was having a very hard time breathing. Casey rushed to me and all I could say was " I just paralyzed myself, go get help!". I was air lifted to Loma Linda Hospital and after hours of test they found that I had shattered my T12 vertebrate. I was put into surgery for 4 hours and received a titanium cage, rods, screws and other materials to rebuild my spine. During the injury my spinal cord was compressed and the broken pieces from the vertebrate actually punctured my spinal cord. After a few days in the ICU, I started to get feeling on the top of my thighs, knees and front of my shins. This was amazing because initially the doctors didn't expect me to regain much, if any , feeling or movement in my legs. I spent 8 days recovering in the ICU before I was transferred to Long Beach Memorial Rehab Center. I spent 2 weeks recovering there, as well as receiving great therapy. I progressed so well that I was actually discharged a week early. Next, I researched outpatient therapy centers and found
Precision Rehabilitation in Long Beach. Lucky for me their gym is close and has some of the most qualified therapist in the country. That's the story and the rest will be posted here for you all to enjoy.

As you all can imagine, this has been a terrorizing experience. If it wasn't for the strong support of my family and friends, I know without a doubt, I wouldn't be able to get through this. I strongly look forward to getting back on my feet, so that I can enjoy everyday with my beautiful wife and wonderful boys.



Wednesday, July 14, 2010

July 14

Hello all, it's been a little while since my last post, but I haven't forgot about you. I have been working hard in therapy and it is slowly starting to show. I never thought that it was going to be so hard, and the sad thing is I'm one of the lucky ones. I have two new videos for you to see. Today my therapist asked me if I was willing to try the elliptical machine and you know I'm always up for a challenge! So we thought we would see if it was possible and I actually surprised myself. I surprised my therapist and a few others in there. They normally have to strap others feet down, but I have pretty good control of my feet now. It's no Academy Award winning performance, but my therapist and I were pleased. This should really help strengthen my legs, as well as keeping my ankle joints stimulated. Hopefully I will see some movement down there soon. Here is Video 1 and Video 2. I hope you enjoy. I still haven't heard anything about my wheelchair, but I talked to the rep today and he said we should hear something by the end of next week. I'll keep you posted, Josh

3 comments:

  1. Wooooo!!!! Looks like you're climbing a crane, buddy! Yeah, man! This is so exciting, Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing Son!!!!! I watch with tears streaming down my face full of excitment. If anyone can do this, it is you. I Love you so much and am so very proud of you. Hugs and Kisses............. MOM <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable Josh!! You look so natural and strong on there. Our miracle xo Mums..

    ReplyDelete